The Law Office of Monica S. McElyea, LLC provides experienced, reputable, and skilled legal representation from our office in the Breckenridge area of Colorado. We are honored and humbled each time a client entrusts us to handle their legal matter, because we know the outcome will affect their lives for years to come.
Her practice areas include criminal defense, personal injury, DUI, divorce, juvenile matters, and family law. Monica S. McElyea is an established lawyer who provides legal services at competitive rates while maintaining the highest professional standards and continuing to evolve in order to meet the needs of the client. This firm tailors its services to respond to a client's particular need. Every client deserves clear communication, practical advice, and a cost effective outcome. The firm practices and believes in frequent client communication and participation in decision making in order to ensure the outcome meets a client's need.
Monica was born and raised in Pennington Gap, Virginia, until she moved to Georgia to attend law school. She graduated from the Walter F. George School of Law at Mercer University, in Macon, Georgia in 1991. After graduating from law school and practicing law for five years in Virginia, she and her husband moved to Summit County, Colorado in 1997, where they have remained ever since. In 1997, she commenced practicing law in Frisco with David A. Helmer. She first worked as an associate and then as a partner in
the law firm of Helmer & McElyea, LLC.
Monica S. McElyea practices in the areas of criminal defense, domestic relations including divorce, personal injury, medical malpractice, civil and criminal litigation. Attorney Monica S. McElyea is a former Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney for Lee County, Virginia and a former Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Virginia. In addition, Monica has engaged in the private practice of law for approximately 20 years. She actively practices law only in Colorado, and is inactive in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Tennessee, and Georgia.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- Juvenile Matters
- Family Law
- Colorado, 1997
- Virginia, 1991
- Tennessee, 1993
- Georgia, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1995
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1998
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia
- J.D. - 1991
- Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, Lynchburg, Virginia
- B.A., - 1988
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colorado Bar Association, Member, Executive Committee, 2012 to 2013
- Summit County Bar Association
- Continental Divide Bar Association, President, 2008 to 2010
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. Magistrate Judge Cynthia D. Kinser, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia (The Honorable Cynthia D. Kinser is currently serving as the first woman Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia), 1991-1992, Law Clerk
- Lee County, Virginia, 1993-1994, Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney (district attorney)
- Criminal Division, Criminal Litigation Section, Commonwealth of Virginia, 1994-1997, Assistant Attorney General
- Helmer & McElyea, LLC, Associate, 1997
- Helmer & McElyea, LLC, Partner
Pro Bono Activities
- Current member Father Dyer United Methodist Church, Breckenridge, Colorado
- Current Board member: Summit Community Care Clinic, Inc.
- Summit Community Care Clinic, Inc., President of the Board , 2010 to 2011
- Former board member: Bristlecone Health Services, Inc.
- Municipal Court Judge for the Town of Blue River, Colorado
106 North French Street
Breckenridge, CO 80424